Sunday, March 13, 2011

One of Life's Little Mysteries

Further to my last post on East Timorese President Jose Ramos-Horta, this letter was published in The Australian Jewish News of March 4:

"I have recently returned from a trip (working holiday) in East Timor... As a non-Jew who has been a committed and passionate Zionist for over 40 years and a regular visitor to Israel, I am continually delighted while travelling in East Timor at the high level of support for Israel. The East Timorese are over 90% Roman Catholic, yet my experience - admittedly somewhat subjective - is that they are strong and often vocal supporters of Israel. Pro-Israel graffiti is common not only in the capital, Dili, but also in country areas. I have even seen buses with the Israeli flag and pro-Israel slogans painted on them. It is also worth noting that the President of East Timor, Ramos-Horta, recently visited Israel and appears to share the enthusiasm for Israel that I detected among his people... I would suggest that AJN readers who share my own love of Israel might like to give some thought to East Timor when planning their next holiday destination or next overseas aid donation." (Dr Bill Anderson, Surrey Hills, Vic)

So what's going on here? Either the good doctor's 40 years of passionate Zionism has so messed with his mind that he's hallucinating, Christian Zionists are making their malign presence felt even in far flung East Timor, or... ?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll keep this in mind for future discrimination against East Timorese, after all collective punishment does not worry Jose Ramos-Horta.My previous support for their struggle was misplaced.

MERC said...

I can see where you're coming from, but I don't believe in the concept of collective guilt.

Anonymous said...

so are east timorses that clueless? have you been there to ask them? ids ay go and ask them, also take some evidence to show the atrocities by zionism , in case they have been misled.

Brian

Anonymous said...

what about collective ignorance?