Saturday, December 15, 2018

Pain in the Neck

There's a preliminary report - PM locks in shift to West Jerusalem (Simon Benson) - in today's Australian which quotes what Morrison will say later today when he announces his much-anticipated decision on relocating Australia's embassy to Jerusalem. In it I note these words in particular:

"The Australian government has expressed our strong concern over Israel's land appropriations, demolitions and settlement activity. The settlements undermine peace - and contribute to the stalemate we now see."

To sheet home to Israel the extent of his "strong concern" for "settlement activity," which "undermines peace," Morrison has therefore declared that:

"The Australian government has decided that Australia now recognises West Jerusalem, as the seat of the Knesset and many of the institutions of government, is the capital of Israel. And we look forward to moving our embassy to West Jerusalem when practical in support of, and after, final- status determination. We have decided to start work now to identify a suitable site for an Australian embassy in West Jerusalem." (ibid)

I'm sorry, readers, I can't proceed any further on this subject at this point in time. You see, I've badly twisted my neck trying to get my head around the above.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes totally agree. Watched the news conference and all I can say is I am totally dumbstruck by the split personality of the Muppet. Forgive me for not looking up the exact quotes, but I couldn't get past his - I stand for rule of law and the Australian values of decency stuff - juxtaposed to his - I do not acknowledge the UN and its many resolutions in regards to Israel and Palestine stuff. WTF?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping up your reports on this crap, Merc. I don't know how you bear it. I find it too depressing. And I guess/know that the opposition will be not a whit better. What to do, whom to complain to, how to protest? I have no suggestions except to support 'If Americans Knew', but even that appears fairly futile here.

Rex Williams said...

"I do not acknowledge the UN and its many resolutions in regards to Israel and Palestine".

Anonymous in his comment stated the above.

Can he please advise when this was stated by Morrison?

Many thanks

Rex

Anonymous said...

Rex,
My comment was a summation of what the Muppet said in his address at the Sydney Institute on the 15th December, 2018. I have included a link to the full text of his speech, https://www.pm.gov.au/media/address-sydney-institute.

One of the quotes that really stick in my craw is:

"Now turning to broader issues, I have also been concerned for some time about the ratcheting up of rhetoric and action aimed at isolating Israel.
We regard the biased and unfair targeting of Israel in the UN General Assembly in particular as deeply unhelpful to efforts to build peace and stability. The UN General Assembly is now the place where Israel is bullied and where anti-Semitism is cloaked in language about human rights."

Cloaked in language about human rights indeed, all Palestinian children are tried under a military tribunal and treated from age 12 as adults, for throwing fucking rocks! A good proportion of these 12 year old criminals are not held in jails in Palestine, rather they are held in jails in Israel where family visits are difficult.

Now I don't know about you Rex, but this alone warrants full condemnation. However, these human rights violations are just the tip of the iceberg. The UN, quite rightly, is the international body where these blatant breaches are dealt with. The Muppet, by recognising West Jerusalem, is obviously flouting UN General Assembly resolution ES-10/l.22. Look it up!