Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Q&A Flakes

Tim Wilson, Human Rights Commissioner:

"My view is that whenever Australia is siding up with only China and Iran when we are voting on things [at the UN], it is probably not a good sign."

Hello? This effusion hardly reflects the reality of our voting pattern in the UN General Assembly. Reality would dictate something more along these lines:

'My view is that whenever Australia is siding up with only the United States and Israel when we are voting on things, it is most definitely not a good sign.'

But then, reality (or even human rights) is not really Wilson's thing. Certainly not since he was rambammed - see my 23/2/14 post I Want My Money Back.

Mona Eltahawy, Egyptian activist and commentator:

- Well, you're talking to someone who got arrested for spray-painting over a racist and bigoted ad in the New York subway and I'm going to stand trial very soon in New York for this...

TJ: What did it say? Are you allowed to tell us?

- I can tell you because it - I mean it's outrageous. It said: 'In the war between the civilised man and the savage, always choose the civilised man. Support Israel. Defeat Jihad.' And I thought: are you fucking kidding me? In my subway? How can you put this up?

I don't get it. I always thought Eltahawy had the hots for Israel.

After all, she too was rambammed; wrote for the Jerusalem Post; declared that "Israel was the opium of the Arabs"; and (with exquisite timing, after Israel had just bombed the crap out of Gaza in 2008-09) described herself as a "self-hating Arab," pontificating that "the real challenge when it comes to the Middle East [conflict] is to sit on the fence."

But now she's not only off the fence, she's running around defacing pro-Israel posters! From Self-hating Arab to Existential Threat in 5 seconds flat! WTF?

[For more on Mona, see my 31/1/11 post Homely Mona.]

No comments: