Saturday, January 3, 2015

Talented Tony

I really believe that everyone has a talent, ability or skill that he can mine to support himself and to succeed in life. Dean Koontz

So then, what about Tony Abbott? What's his particular talent? Let him tell you himself:

Tony Abbott to the Australian and Indian cricket teams at Kirribilli House, Sydney, 31/12/14:

"I couldn't bat, I couldn't bowl, I couldn't field, but I could sledge..." (Prime Minister Tony Abbott reveals he was a good sledger, AAP/Sydney Morning Herald, 1/1/15)

Greg Sheridan on Tony Abbott at the Australian Union of Students (AUS) conference at Monash University in 1977:

"No doubt the silliest thing we did at the conference was to attend a Palestinian film night... [W]e heckled the film a bit... and we were told we had to leave." (The Tony that I - and others - remember was never violent at uni, The Australian, 12/9/12)*

Or, as Tone himself might have put it:

'I knew bugger all about Palestine, I didn't have a clue what was going on there, or why, and I wasn't about to learn, but, hey, I knew how to heckle...'

[*See my 13/9/12 post Greg & Tony Do Monash 1.]

No comments: