"Stay strong Israel, January 20th is fast approaching!" Trump tweet following UNSC resolution 2334 of December 23, 2016
That pre-inaugural tweet really says it all, but, for what they're worth, here are my (gloomy) thoughts on aspects of Trump's blatantly populist, no-specifics inauguration speech of 20/1/17:
* "We are transferring power from Washington DC and giving it back to you, the people... January 20, 2017 will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again."
Total bullshit, of course.
* "For many decades, we've... subsidized the armies of other countries... That is past."
And the US$38 billion dollars worth of arms Obomber pledged to Israel last year?
* "From this day forward, it's going to be only America first, America first."
First to veto any resolution critical of Israel in the UN Security Council, that is.
* "We will reinforce old alliances and form new ones - and unite the civilized world against radical Islamic terrorism, which we will eradicate from the face of the Earth."
It's the reinforcing of old alliances that particularly worries me. As for "radical Islamic terrorism," you'll be reading the riot act to Saudi Arabia and Qatar, right? Oh yeah....
* "At the bedrock of our politics will be a total allegiance to the United States of America..."
And the bedrock of our Middle East policy will be a total allegiance to Israel.
* "The Bible tells: 'How good and pleasant it is when God's people live together in unity'... We are protected by God..."
OFFS... God's on our side.
* "Now arrives the hour of action."
Chaos, confusion and disorder, your time has come.